Monday, March 26, 2007

Frasier

Hey baby I hear the blues a'callin'
Tossed salads and scrambled eggs, quite stylish
And maybe I seem a bit confused. Yeah, maybe, but I got you pegged
But I don't know what to do with those tossed salads and scrambled eggs
They're callin' again
Scrambled eggs all over my face
What is a boy to do
Frasier has left the building


[If you have not seen or have absolutely no interest in Frasier whatsoever, I suggest you leave and perhaps head down to the nearest video store to purchase the entire series of Frasier to watch. Then when you're finished with it, come find me. I want your collection. XP]



For a show that won 39 Emmy Awards, I still think they are under-appreciated for their ingenious storyline, jokes and originality. I absolutely love this show; as you may have already figured out from my very biased opinion.

I don't just love this show for a single character's influence but for the entire set up. I love everything about this show; from Kelsey Grammer's Frasier character's cocky attitude to the duct tape strapped around Martin Crane's chair. The whole set up is legendary. Not to mention the jokes they make on the show. It's not like those other sit coms where the jokes are just down right ridiculous and unoriginal. Ok fine, I'm not saying that all comedy sit coms are like that. In fact, I do admit there are a few sit coms that are quite amusing to watch - but none match up to Frasier.

If you have seen Frasier before, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. If you don't like the show, I suggest you go see a therapist cause you've got a problem.
The jokes integrated into the lines are just phenomenal. They are not those kinda jokes that the studio has to force laughter out of studio audience every time they flash the word "Laugh Now". Sure, sometimes the jokes then are funny, but not as witty and clever as the ones on Frasier. At least I don't think so. Hey! I get to burp out any opinion I want on my blog XP hehehe And that's why I don't think any other sit com is as ingeniously generated as Frasier. (One other great comedy show which comes to mind other than Frasier would have to be Whose Line IS It Anyway? Very close match up in terms of comedical amusement). Their ingenious usage of jokes during the show blows me away, which is probably why I love it so much. Several random examples of the jokes they use on the show:

Frasier: Thanks, Niles. You are a good brother and a credit to the psychiatric profession.
Niles: You're a good brother, too.

Frasier: So are you suggesting that I go along and pretend I'm enjoying myself in something that gives me no pleasure at all just to hear the words I love you?
Daphne: Why not? Women have been doing it for centuries.

[Niles on the phone with Maris (his wife) in the toilet with Frasier as they try to fix the toilet]
Niles: Well, yes, I guess can take my shirt off.
Frasier: Niles, what are you doing?
Niles: Maris seems to be getting aroused by my attempted manual labor. Maris, I'm holding some sort of a wrench.
Frasier: Oh, give me that! Maris, Niles has to go now. ... Oh, never mind what I'm wearing!



However, what really makes the show really so great to watch is the secret love that Niles has for Daphne. Her character has been arranged such that she is completely oblivious to the obvious signs that Niles portrays of his affection to Daphne during their encounters on the show. It's really hilarious to watch him attempt ridiculous feats to get close to Daphne. Even if it means having to fight the need the go into Daphne's room:



Niles: Frasier how could you!? No matter how irresistable the urge to venture down that hallway; to press your face against the door, to actually feel the grain of the wood against your cheek. ... It must be fought! It must be fought!


Daphne: Oh, Dr. Crane, shame on you! You got icing up and down your sleeve.
Niles: Oh, I am a naughty boy.
Daphne: Well, a messy one, anyway.
Niles: But mostly a naughty one.



[spoiler alert! Scroll down if you haven't seen Frasier and are planning to watch it one day. But if you really can't be bothered or don't actually care what I'm talking about, by all means! Do whatever you feel like XP]









Personally, the highlight of the whole series is when Daphne discovers Nile's love for her and then there is chaos on both parties because when they both discover that they both love each other, Niles had just gotten married and Daphne was at her engagement party. On youtube, this episode can be watched here. Sadly, they leave the whole situation hanging for the next two episodes, which is in the following season, and it just so happen that they are not uploaded onto youtube. I really want to watch this episode again because they were the best! If anyone can find it, please tell me! I want it!!! It's the first two episodes of season 8. Gimme gimme gimme! XP



I guess this was the main reason why I felt this urge to finally blog about Frasier. To watch the apex of the entire series on youtube and just have it hanging like that, it doesn't settle with me. I just had to broadcast it on global network as an act of a desperate attempt to get the episodes; hoping that this might be successful.

It was a combination of me having too much time + youtube + mad love for Frasier = me blogging about Frasier. It was inevitable. It was gonna happen sooner or later. Too bad for you guys, it happened now. =P











[end of spoilers]







However, if I had to pinpoint a favourite character in Frasier, it would have to be Niles. He was such a hilarious character for his timidness and fear of conquering new things which could have made his life a lot happier during the show. Only as the series progressed did he gradually sum up the courage to attempt new things and perhaps, that was the turning point of the show for him. Nevertheless, his timidness and fear has been the source for the writers of Frasier to produce some magical comedic moments for which will be enjoyed for a long time to come.


I will share with you guys the first episode I ever saw of Frasier. It was when Niles first caught my eye while I was channel surfing one very innocent day.

I'm not entirely sure what he was doing, and the details of this episode are a bit fuzzy but I will try my best.
It was set in Frasier's apartment and Niles was ironing in the living room one afternoon all alone. Then, for some reason, which I can't seem to recall, he accidentally pricks himself on his hand and he starts bleeding. Having this low tolerance for the sight of blood, he faints at the sight of his own blood and as he does, I think he does something on Frasier's furniture that suddenly wakes him up. He tries to grab hold of whatever he had just accidentally knocked over and once again, he sees the sight of his blood and faints once more. I think he faints a couple more times before deciding to leave Frasier's apartment before causing more damage.

I apologise for the lack of details during the episode, but that is as much as I can remember. And since then, I have been hooked. The first time I saw Niles, I had to watch more of it. He was such a funny scrawny character with an over cautious hygiene habit, obviously, how could a guy like me resist a guy like that? (in a good way ^^) Every move he made, everything he did, it was hilarious. So you could say he was the one who got me interested into Frasier.



But like I said, I love the entire cast and whole set up. It's just ingenious - the way they had written everything out; the plot, the characters, the decor, it's all very unique and original. It's hard to say whether a future show will ever top the standard that Frasier has set but from the look of it, it would be unlikely that a show as good as Frasier will appear any time soon because it is simply one of a kind.


Oh yeah, did I mention I loved Frasier? (Trademark - Chariz style =D)

Labels:

2 Comments:

At March 27, 2007 at 5:41 PM , Blogger Wes said...

Frasier is okay. It is amusing and has good storyline and plot. Yet, I am not attracted to it. I don't feel any connection with any of the characters, nor do I feel for any of the characters. I do think it is above average, but I don't think it has set the standard which is unable to be followed. Whilst it has it's good parts, it also has a lot of weaknesses.

But yeah, I guess we all have our different loves and tastes. That's what makes us different!

 
At March 27, 2007 at 6:30 PM , Blogger Cz said...

i have a style? waow!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home