Friday, March 09, 2007

Timeline

Today marks the day when I first arrived in Singapore 3 months ago.



Whenever people reflect on things like this, they'd usually say, "Wow, time flies so quickly! I can't believe it has been this quick!"


But as for me, I'd have to say the opposite. Time seem to be moving quite slowly. I mean 3 months. That's not very long compared to 2 years. Two years is twenty four months. That would mean I still have twenty one months to go! Three months is not very long when you look at it that way, but I won't.


I must look at it with a positive point of view. So let's see, what has happened during these 3 months here in Singapore. There were a lot of things that happened during that time.



  • I've finally got a general idea of the places in Singapore. Even though I mainly travel in the west coast region, I still have a rough idea of where places are in Singapore. I have say this because even though Singapore is only an island, it's taken me 17 years to figure out where most of the things are in this little island called Singapore. So I guess now, it's not too bad. If someone overseas asked me about something in Singapore, chances are I'll have a rough idea of where that place is. And if I've been there, the conversation would be a lot better if I could at least say something about it than say what I would usually say in the past and that's, "errmm, I haven't stayed in Singapore long, so I don't really know." I mean it is after all, my home country. My roots. My background. About time I figured it out.

  • My chinese and teochew has significantly improved since coming here. Generally at the homes I stay in, I would converse with my grandmas in chinese, but now, I'm starting to talk with my mum's mum in teochew because she would be able to teach and correct me if I got it wrong. Since we left for Australia, I have hardly used my chinese so it was a bit rusty when I came back. The chinese is coming back and I'm starting to learn more words too. And if I could learn this much in 3 months, I reckon I will be able to speak considerably fluent by the time I return back to Australia. Hopefully both chinese and teochew.

  • I started working to make some good pocket money. This is my first 'official' full-time job. Not my first taste at working life, but it is the first time I have had to work 9am to 6:30pm. I guess getting my first job in Singapore isn't exactly the best place to get one. The hours are long, and the pay is not as high. Nevertheless, it's my first job.

  • Staying here has taught me more about myself. I never realised how much I've grown on an independent level over a short period of time. I mean looking at what I've been doing, I never thought I could do these things without complaining too much. For example, I started to swim at 6:30am. I've never done such a thing before in my life. Then after swimming, I would head off to work for a long day. Yet, I find myself content with the temporary situation and I haven't complained all that much. If I could picture myself doing this a few years back, my guess is that I would be complaining all the way until the end of time. But now, I guess it was the right time to leave home and become more independent and it all worked out fine.

  • Lastly, I came here with a purpose. That purpose was to complete my National Service without looking back too much as I go get it over and done with. The day I arrived here in Singapore, everything seemed too surreal. I couldn't comprehend the fact that I would be staying here for 2 years. After staying in Australia for 3 years, I had this connection with the country and the people back there that I found it really difficult to let that go for 2 years. Fortunately, the internet was accessible during most of that time when I first arrived and I was able to, with the help of many wonderful friends back in Australia, ease into this life style. It wasn't easy, I'll tell you that. The first month was the most difficult, with Christmas and everything, it was hard. That Christmas night, I spent it in a swimming pool all alone. I don't regret spending it there because it was nice to just be alone for a while and just have some time to recap on what has been going on. I remember looking up to the dark starless cloudy sky and just wishing I could be back in Australia to enjoy a starry night sky once more. Even seeing the moon would be just as satisfying. That night, I killed the night away in the pool until the life guard told me that it was time to go. Then later on in January, I did the NAPFA and got the result I was praying for. Getting gold on the test was the first greatest thing I experienced since coming here. Getting the sheet of paper that read 'Gold' was something I had longed for because it meant I would be going back 2 months earlier. Who would have thought that that might have had a play in me getting into the Police Academy. And now looking back at all these things that has happened with the NS situation, I can't help but be amazed by what has transpired during these 3 months.


I never really complained or whined too much when I was told that I will have to go back to Singapore to complete my NS. Unlike when we were first told that we were going to move to Geelong, Singapore I didn't have much of a choice so I tried not to think too much about it. All I had in my mind was to just enjoy the time I had left in Australia and don't do anything silly. After all, there wouldn't be any point complaining because my parents wouldn't be able to do anything about the fact that I am a Singaporean who needs to fulfill his national duties. I guess saying nothing about it and just bottling every unhappiness by having the mindset of getting it over and done with was the best way to go. I figured that aggravating the situation would only make everything worse.



Also since coming here, I have learnt a lot of things about myself and other people that I didn't know about. I covered a little bit about this above but what I didn't mention was that there were things about me that I didn't know about - like how I am able to chat on MSN 10 hours straight without going blind from all the radiation from the laptop screen. I didn't think I could do that! lol I also learnt that 9.5 hours of computer a day at work can pretty much make my eyes go all blurry from all the tears in my eyes. Not from the radiation from the computer but from all the weeping for having to work. I didn't think I would do that!



But seriously, since moving, I've learnt a bit about myself but more about the people that I call friends. True friends are the ones who will stick by you no matter what happens. They will find a way to get to you to make sure you are alive and well. And when I came here, all my true friends showed themselves and only stood to encourage me. These are the friends that I must not lose! I only hope I can repay the favour when it is their turn to go do something like this. God bless them for being the great and wonderful friends that they are. ^^


Anyway, when I first came here to Singapore, I was a little bit worried that I would have to 'church hunt' for a place to go to every Sunday. So I was praying about having a place to return to without hunting 'too much' for a 'comfortable' church. Prayers were answered and it was even better than having to 'hunt'! The first church I went to became my church immediately. In case some of you don't know what happened, this is what happened.

The first Sunday I arrived in Singapore, I followed my brother to the church he has decided to stay with. During that day, I was doing my best to observe the church and it just so happen that during that Sunday, they didn't want any other instruments besides the guitar, piano and saxophone. That meant on that Sunday, I saw the drum set empty without anybody playing it.

I guess you could say it was 'a sign'. But what really got me to return, was when they asked me to play the following week. Not drums, but guitar. [The full story here] So I went, and I did it. Then they asked me back the following week. Then week after week, I kept going back and now, I'm happy. The people there are great. The spiritual atmosphere is refreshing. And the music is a lot more satisfying in the sense that there is unity in the music. Plus, since playing for the church, I've learnt so much more about playing for the church band. I hope to improve a whole lot more before I go back. That should be wonderful! XD Hopefully I can go back with this and help the people in whatever way I can. =)

On a completely different note, I have to point out that since I came here in December, I have not fallen sick! Normally in Australia, I would fall sick every few months! And here I am, 3 months in and I'm still going strong. I think the main reason is that I have been drinking so much more water now. Especially in the office (since I still wanna kill time with toilet breaks), I drink close to 10 cups of water a day. My system is pretty well flushed out. Back in Australia, I would drink milk and soft drinks. I would only drink water if I felt thristy but usually, I would drink soft drinks for 'enjoyment'. I'm so glad I haven't fallen sick yet. The greatest feeling ever! ^^
Kids! Don't try that at home!



Overall, I think these 3 months has been a complete turn-a-round for me. I've finally accepted that I will be here for a while and decided to make it easier on myself by trying to look at things with a more positive attitude. So far so good. The next step now, is the Police Academy and I think that will be a whole new ball game. One thing's for sure though. There will be a lot of Malays in the Police Academy so I will have to use my 'experience' in the minority to make the experience easier to handle. This is where all past 'training' with travelling around to different cultures and situations will come in handy. Stories that will be told in another 3 months time. And when I do reach that 6 months mark, it would mean I am one-quarter of the way there. One-quarter of two years. Surely then will time be flying!

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At March 10, 2007 at 6:07 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

yay! bozo's chinese improved. and i think you may also have picked up a singaporean accent. because when i read words like 'level' i can hear them being said as 'lever'.

now 2 years is a long long time...even amoz has 1 year left.

 
At March 10, 2007 at 9:23 AM , Blogger Ang said...

lol, i'm afraid to tell you sam that i have not picked up the singaporean accent. At least, i'm trying not to.

Amoz will be back very soon! =D

 
At March 10, 2007 at 10:34 AM , Blogger sarah said...

am i the only one who doesn't know what 'teochew' is?

 
At March 10, 2007 at 10:44 AM , Blogger Ang said...

Teochew is a dialect from China. It's in my blood since both my parents are teochew :)

 
At March 11, 2007 at 4:27 AM , Blogger sarah said...

does going into the police mean that you don't have to go into the army?

if you like the police force, can you stay working there or is it just for 2 years and then it ends?

have you stopped working at your job?

i guess amoz is older. did he live in australia too?

 
At March 11, 2007 at 11:49 AM , Blogger Cz said...

yes amoz lived in australia too =)

 
At March 11, 2007 at 4:45 PM , Blogger Ang said...

Yeah, since i'm in the police force, there's no need to go into the army. People keep telling me that the police life is great compared to the army. A lot of people want to go into the police force but were unable to. So i'm pretty blessed to be in the police force ^^

I finish working on Tuesday!!! w00t!!!!

My brother will return to Australia in about a year's time. He will be doing his Uni like me in 2 yrs.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home