Sunday, July 08, 2007

Eddie's Million Dollar Cook Off (Part 2)

3rd June, 2007 (Tuesday)
For the first time in a long while, I was finally alone in the bunk. I had remained back as the others went for the POP drill at 8:30am, leaving me behind as I prepared myself for the interview set at 9am. Normally in the academy, there would be people everywhere. Hardly am I able to get away from the sight of people, yet alone the constant gibbering. So to finally be alone, for those few minutes, it was nice.

During that time, I was able to soothingly read my Bible without people yelling at each other. And as time approached, I got dressed.


I had absolutely no clue who else was in the run for the officer course. I merely assumed that there wouldn't be many and I was gonna have to compete with the best.


"I'm here to report for the OCT interview, sir."


"Ok, wait there."


Waiting in a little corner next to one of many desks filled with random office items, I hovered around a small area looking like a trainee who has no clue what awaits him.
After hovering for a minute or so, I was told to wait at room 37.


"Do you know where is it?"


"Yeah."


"It's just down the corridor to your left."


"Room 37 right?"


"Yeah."


"Thank you sir"


We had most of our classes at classroom 37, so I knew exactly where it was. But one thing strange was the fact that one classroom fits 40 people. And if I was not mistaken, the OCT selection should be minimal - not more than 10 at least. Nevertheless, I wandered across to the room and took a deep breath before knocking on the door. As I pulled down the handle, I was soon confronted with the assurance that no one was in the room as the door still remained locked.


'I'm early I guess. I'll just go to the toilet first.'


When I came back out, I tried again to see if anyone had entered as I was away, but no one had unlocked the door. So I stood outside the room, waiting.


waiting ..


waiting ...


waiting ....


waiting .....


'He did say room 37 ... right? ... yeah, I even asked him again. There can't be any other room 37s can there? ... nah, somethings not right.'


I was aware that if I left that room, I would be left to answer for my lateness if I were to return again, but it was better than standing there waiting for someone to come. Surely something was wrong.


"Sir, you said room 37 right?"


"Syndicate room 37."


"Syndicate? Where's that?"


"Just outside this door, make a left."


"OhhhHH!!!"


"Don't act so blur now, you're gonna become an OCT" another officer in the room commented. I responded with a somewhat embarrassed laugh as I quickly made my exit.



The room was literally next door down a narrow corridor. I had no idea that these rooms existed despite having some signs up above at the entrance of the corridor saying "Syndicate Rms 34-48".


I knocked on the door and pushed it open. No one was in the tiny interrogation room. The small air-conditioned room would be way better than standing outside in the humid air. So I proceeded on in.


There was a table with 4 chairs, one on each side. I went to sit on one of the chairs and as I did, I suddenly realised that if some officer walked in, I shouldn't be seen sitting down. So I decided that it would be appropriate if I stood up. Bouncing off the seat, I decided that the best position is to stand 'at ease' (senang diri) in front of the wall which faces the door.

So there I stood. Waiting... waiting... Not long after, I heard voices. Voices coming from the corridor.


'They sound like officer voices. Oh crap! Maybe I shouldn't be in the room! Argh! I can't get out! It's too late! The door handle is opening! Don't move! Ahh!!! I'm gonna die!!!' The door handle went down, and the door slid open and there at the other end were 5 other candidates.


"Oh ... phew! Why did you have to stand like that?" they asked me.


"This is how I stand ... naturally." I replied.



There were 6 of us going for the first OCT interview that day. Four from one squad, and another guy along with myself from 2 other squads.

That interview was to determine how well we could project ourselves and to see how much confidence we had in speaking. As Police Inspectors, we had to be able to present our ideas and other things like that; so we had to be able to at least talk to the four officers in that room.


The other five candidates found it a bit 'unnatural' for them but I was quite ok. They told me that I was perfectly fine. My interview with them was like any other conversation for me because of my exposure to other countries of different cultures. So talking in that room to four people about my life was a piece of cake basically.

However, I did stuff up one bit. I knew it was a mistake the moment I said it and I tried to cover up and try not to highlight what I had said.
What happened was, one of the officers asked me 'why do you think so many of your squad mates failed the exam?'


When he asked that, the truth came out which I should not have said and already had the intention before the interview to not say it if they asked me. Yet, it leaked out and I regret saying it cause it got my OC in trouble, so to speak.


"Well, most of them were sleeping in class but our OC tried. He tried to wake them up whenever they fell asleep but eventually, he gave up and said that this is your basic training. If you fail and recourse, it wouldn't be his problem because he's already played his part. It's up to you to play your part. But also, they don't study. If they had put in the effort to try to study in the barrack, I'm sure most of them would pass."


"So wait, your OC allows your friends to sleep in class?"


"Yeah well, he said that you should play your part to pay attention and study, and he will play his part to teach. But OC really did try his best. He tried to keep them awake but they wouldn't listen."


"I see ... mmm"


From that moment on, I knew I did the wrong thing. And that my OC was in trouble.



To Be Continued ...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home